Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fast Forward Just a Little Bit...

For a little while, I only made amigurumis for birthday and Christmas gifts. Since the gifting events were pretty sporadic, I wanted to condense them down a bit so that I can show you what I did during that time. Get ready for some time jumping and amigurumi evolution!

(December 2008)
My sister-in-law's birthday was coming up. Since she’s from Hawaii, I wanted to make her a pineapple. I already made an apple and a pear, so a pineapple wasn’t that far off the fruit scale. I looked online for a pattern, but I couldn’t find one I really liked, so I made one up. This was my first pattern.


Before her birthday brunch, I gave Christie her present. When she opened up the gift, she looked very confused. I don’t think she had ever seen an amigurumi before. I explained to her that it was a crocheted pineapple and that I had made it. At first I thought she didn’t like her gift, but it turned out once she realized what it was, she loved it! It was the first time I had given one of my crochet toys to anyone and it wasn’t the reaction I was expecting, but in the end it was all good. Her pineapple still sits on her shelf, smiling.


(December 2008)
My niece, Chloe, also has a December birthday. I wanted to make her something short and sweet, just like her. From Amigurumi World by Ana Paula Rimoli, I found this pattern for a cupcake. The only thing I changed was the pattern called for beads for the “sprinkles” but I change them to different color yarn. My niece was only 2-years old and I didn’t wanted her to accidentally pick off the beads and swallow them.
When Chloe opened up her present and saw the cupcake, she was so happy. Seeing her reaction was one of the reasons why I love to make amigurumis so much. Something I made was making someone happy, which makes me even more happy.


(December 2009)
For my niece and nephews Christmas presents, I wanted to make them something special. I had been making simple toys so far and I wanted to challenge myself. They had recently moved and now had their own bedrooms, so I wanted to make them gifts that suited their personalities.
By this time, Ana Paula Rimoli had come out with a second book, Amigurumi Two! In the book was a pattern for a hot air balloon with a teddy bear. Max always loved flying machines, so I thought a hot air balloon would be perfect to hang in his room.


Another pattern found in Amigurumi Two! was a mobile with little birds. Chloe’s room was pink with a princess themed bed. The little birds were very fitting for her room because even Cinderella and Snow White had little bird friends watching over them.


                The kids loved their mobiles. Max immediately started spinning circles to make the hot air balloon take flight. Chloe, wanting to be like her older brother, did the same. Her little birds flew up in the air, making her giggle. This beats any store-bought toys I’ve ever gotten for them.

               
                So we haven’t caught up to my current projects yet, but I hope you’re enjoying my trip through memory lane. I’m amazed I’ve come so far in my toy-making. I also love remembering how happy I’ve made people who’ve received my gifts. Thanks for joining me again. Until next week…

1 comment:

  1. I love all of the wonderful work you have done. These are bringing back memories for me too!

    ReplyDelete