Sunday, January 23, 2011

In the beginning...

                Two years ago, after another stressful day at work, I wandered into Barnes & Nobles hoping to relax by browsing magazines. This usually worked pretty well, but it didn’t on that day. I was about to give up and head home when I passed by a table featuring crafting books. One book in particular caught my eye, Amigurumi World by Ana Paula Rimoli. Something about the crocheted animals really piqued my curiosity. I immediately bought the book and headed to the craft store to buy some yarn and a crochet hook.
                Of course, it wasn’t as easy as I thought. After 3 days, countless how-to websites, and numerous youtube videos later, I made my first amigurumi, an apple. It wasn’t the stress relieving hobby I was hoping for, but I was hooked, pardon the pun. I was so proud of myself. It had been a long time since I felt so determined to learn something new and actually sit down to do it. I was also in awe of the fact that I was able to take something as simple as yarn and hook and create something tangible and so cute.
                My next amigurumi, a pear, took considerably less time to make, but the result was no less surprising to me. After finishing the toy, I held it up and giggled with joy, not only because it was so cute but because I made it with my own hands. Two years later, after making so many toys, I still do the same thing every time I finish a toy. I think that’s why I love making amigurumis. They make me happy!




                For the longest time I was looking for something I could feel passionate about and this is it! I’m grateful that I was able to find a craft that I love and that I can learn to improve on. This blog is not only a record of all the amigurumis I’ve made and will make in the future, but also my journal for each project. Eventually I’ll include some insight for the home business I plan to start, Comfort Creatures, and my own how-to instructions. This is my amigurumi adventure. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Susan on your new site! You have an amazing talent to make these one-of-a-kind creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. teach me teach me!!!! your little creations were so cute!!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Jenny I've love to teach you the next time you visit.

    ReplyDelete