Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Boy Who Loves Orange

(December 2010)

            After I posted the pictures of all the amigurumi I made for my nephew’s craft fair on Facebook, I got some great responses from my family and friends. One of the most enthusiastic responses was from my high school classmate Sharon and her son, Josh.

It turns out that Josh loves fruit, especially fruit with eyes! Sharon had glued some eyes on Josh’s plastic fruit toys, but they came off too easily. When Josh saw the pictures of my amigurumi fruit, he fell in love. Sharon contacted me and asked me if I could make an orange and a pineapple for her son. She also wondered if I could make a hippo, which I had never made before, but I saw it as my next challenge. (Sorry I forgot to take a picture of that.)

When I informed Sharon that I finished making the toys, she asked if she and Josh could come visit me in Irvine. Josh wanted to meet “the lady who makes the yarn fruit.” (That’s me!) We met one afternoon at 85C where I didn’t see Sharon at first, but I recognized Josh right away. I had already seen many pictures of him on Sharon’s Facebook page and he is just as cute in person as he is in the pictures. Sharon also looked exactly the same as she did in high school.

I have to say that Josh is one of the eloquent and curious little boys I’ve ever met. When I gave him the amigurumi orange, the first thing he said to me was, “My favorite color is orange!” He also told me the pineapple was for his new sister who’s still in his mom’s belly. :)


Sharon and I caught up since we haven’t seen each other since high school, but Josh and I also had some fun conversations. He asked me if I crocheted with a hook, how I was able to make the smile, how the eyes were able stay on the orange without falling off, and if I could teach him how to crochet!


                We didn’t get to spend too much time together since Sharon and Josh had to drive home for dinner, but I had a great time with Sharon and her precocious little boy. I invited them to my house where I showed Josh my crochet tools and he was able to make a few knots all by himself. I bet Josh could learn how to crochet very quickly and when he does, he'll be able to make his own produce section with eyes! :) 

                My experience with Sharon and Josh taught me that making amigurumis for myself and for other people are two difference things. If selling amigurumis mean that I'm making people happy and connecting with friends, then I'm in! Thanks again for joining me this week! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment