Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lions and monkeys and zebras.....oh my!

(January 2011)

                When my friend Ruben found out he was having a son, he prepared the nursery by painting an amazing jungle-themed mural. Baby Ruben Agustin was welcomed home by 5 new friends: a lion, a monkey, an elephant, a zebra, and a giraffe. Ruben’s wife, Jessica, asked me to make Ruben Agustin a lion, to match his new nursery. Since I already had experience making a lion for my nephew’s school fundraiser, I readily agreed.

                The lion I made before was from a pattern found in an issue of Crochet Today Magazine. It was part of the "Runaway Menagerie" collection. The lion itself was not so hard to make, but the toy took a long time to finish because it has a very detailed mane. Without the mane, the lion would look like an orange bear.  

  

                Check out the original design to see if it’s pretty close. I modified the lion’s posture because I thought it looked cuter standing up instead of sitting down. This way, the baby can grab all its limbs to play with it. I also added a pipe cleaner in the tail so it could bend.

                When I gave the lion to Ruben Agustin, he was fascinated. Of course the first thing he did was to put it in his mouth to see how it would taste. Since he was just learning to grab things, the curls in the lion’s mane was perfect for him to grab with his cute little fingers. Jessica and Ruben also loved the lion. I told them I would continue the collection with the monkey, elephant, zebra, and giraffe!

Ruben Agustin, Jessica and their new friend.
                Thank you for joining me again this week! I’ll be on vacation next week, but I’ll be back the week after. Join me for more next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment