Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cat for Kitty

          A lot of my friends are having babies lately, which means I’ve been making a lot of Amigurumis for baby shower presents. For Sharon (Mother of Josh, the boy who loves orange) and her unborn daughter, I wanted to make her something special. Sharon’s been very supportive of my hobby/business venture in Amigurumis. She and Josh are some of my biggest fans (and also featured a lot in my blog).

          To explain the rest of the story, I need to talk about my foray into the wonder world of Etsy. I want to sell my Amigurumis on Etsy.com one day so I logged on to to see what other people are selling. There are so many great sellers and Amigurumis that I was a little overwhelmed. I feel like I have a lot more work to do before posting some of my toys to sell online.

          A great store I found on Etsy was Sarsel. Sarsel’s Amigurumi designs are so unique from anything I’ve ever seen before. The patterns in her shop are intermediate level crochet, which was great for me because I was ready to learn more crochet techniques, but the biggest reason I love Sarsel’s shop is because her patterns are of Amigurumi animals dressed in wonderfully chic clothes. Each animal is different and has its own personality. I couldn’t help myself, I bought all the patterns that Sarsel offered in her shop.

Anyways, when Sharon told me that she’s naming her daughter Kathryn and nicknaming her “Kitty”, I knew I had to make her an Amigurumi cat. This was the perfect opportunity to try Sarsel's patterns. As with all my other crochet projects, I rarely follow the original pattern strictly, instead choosing to modify a pattern to suite my needs. This time, I used two of Sarsel’s patterns to make the Cat for Kitty. For the cat, I used “Tara the Cat” crochet pattern and for the cat’s tutu, I used “Penny the Rabbit” pattern. The result is one-of-a-kind ballerina cat for Kitty.




I added the flower in honor of Josh's love for orange.

I also made matching ballet slippers to match the tutu.


          Sharon loved the cat. She told me her husband wanted to keep the Amigurumi on the shelf so the baby wouldn't ruin it. I told her to let the baby play with the toy, I can always make another one. A few weeks after we met for lunch, baby Kathryn “Kitty” Lee was born on April 24, 2011 on Easter Sunday! Mother and daughter are doing great and Josh is a proud big brother. Sharon tells me that he’s already shared his pineapple with her.

                Thanks for joining me again this week. See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment