Monday, June 20, 2011

Happy Hippo

 Along with an orange and pineapple for her son, Sharon also asked me to make a hippo for a baby shower gift. Her friend loves hippos, especially purple hippos. Since my only experience with a hippopotamus was a sleepy, gray lump at the zoo, I needed to find more inspiration. After much searching online, I found this cute plush toy. My goal was to copy the toy in yarn, or at least get it as close as possible.



            I had found some Amigurumi hippo patterns online and even made one, but they weren’t exactly what I wanted. Usually I start with an existing pattern as a base, but this time, I had to come up with a pattern from scratch. I had to analyze the hippo from head to toe, then figure out how to make them from elements from different Amigurumis I’ve already made. I found myself making a part, and then unwinding the yarn several times because the proportions where not cute enough.

            This is the hippo after I was finished. It doesn’t look exactly like the picture I based it on, but I think it’s pretty cute.






This hippo was one of the more challenging toys I’ve made, but I learned a lot from making it. My next challenge from Sharon is to make a mobile featuring the hippos from Fantasia. Good luck to me!

1 comment:

  1. You are a true architect, Susan. If anyone can do it, I know you can! :)

    ReplyDelete