Sunday, August 21, 2011

Aloha Pineapple


          Before my friend, Katie’s baby shower, I asked her what she’d like me to make for your baby’s nursery. Since Katie and her husband decided to not find out about the baby’s gender before the birth, she was more limited in her choices. Katie told me that the baby’s nursery will have an Aloha/Hawaiian theme, so she wanted a pineapple to match.


          Katie’s baby shower was held at another friend’s backyard on a beautiful day. I was very excited to see her reaction when she opened up my present. When she took away the tissue paper and saw the pineapple, Katie started laughing! She said she was expecting a small, hand-held sized pineapple, like the one she saw on my blog, but I surprised her with something better. It was a giant pineapple! She kept saying she was so surprised! She loved it!



          The head/body of the pineapple was the same pattern as the smaller size pineapple. I used my “giant-ization” (don’t think that’s a real word, but it describes my process very well) method of crocheting with super bulky yarn with a large size crochet hook. I changed the leaves a bit. I wanted the leaves to look more like a real pineapple. The leaves on the last pineapple were just regular leaves that were randomly sewn on the top of the pineapple. This time, I made the leaves different sizes, from large in the center to small on the outside. They are bundled together and curl down, almost like a crown. What do you think? Is it close?


          This was one of my favorite projects so far. Then again, I say that about everything I make. I can honestly say that I love learning new things every time I make an Amigurumi.

          Thanks again for joining me this week! 

2 comments: