Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fruit Basket


          Amigurumi fruit will always have a special place in my heart. The first amigurumi I ever made was an apple from “Amigurumi World” by Ana Paula Rimoli. It took me a long time to learn how to crochet, but I when I finally did finish my first Amigurumi, I was hook (literally and figuratively)! It’s been 3 years and I’ve moved on to much more complicated projects, but I still make a fruit from time to time, just to gauge how far I’ve come in my crochet skills. It’s also really fun to see how cute I can make the fruit!


          I’ve posted about this Amigurumi apple before when I gushed over the Martha Stewart's crochet dog toys. I made it last April and it was the first fruit Amigurumi that I attempted to cuti-fy. It definitely looks different from my first apple.

My first Amigurumis, an apple and a pear.
My apple
Martha Stewart's apple vs. my apple
          Then I thought it would be fun to update other fruit Amigurumis. The second Amigurumi I ever made was a pear. I tried to make it so that each different fruit had some of the same features to that they look like they belong to the same series. They all have shiny big eyes, pink cheeks, and a smile.

My pear
          Then came the orange.

My orange
          Then, inspired by Martha Steward again, I made the watermelon wedge. This one was harder to make because it’s not the usual crocheting in the round. After a lot of trial and error, I finally make a version of the Amigurumi watermelon I was satisfied with. I was trying so hard to avoid taking apart Martha’s watermelon slice to reverse engineer the toy. I was afraid I wouldn’t able to put it back together again. It’s still not an exact match, but I think it’s pretty close.

My watermelon slice
Martha Stewart's watermelon vs. my watermelon
          And of course, there’s the pineapple I recently made for Katie. You can read about it at my previous blog entry: Aloha Pineapple.


          I still have a few more Amigurumi fruit I’d like to make. This is definitely an ongoing project. As my sister said, "You'll end up with a complete fruit basket!"

          Thanks for joining me this week! 

5 comments:

  1. Hello!!Congratulations for your works, they are very beautiful. is it possible to have the pattern of watermelon and apple?if you like follow me at my blog as well.
    Grazia
    Blog: My Crochet Mania
    Fan page on Facebook <a

    Email: grazia.dapolito@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grazia! Thank you very much for your compliment. You have done some wonderful work as well. Please look for my email from schuddy@gmail.com regarding the apple and watermelon patterns. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! My name is Lacy and I am interested in the apple, watermelon, pear, and orange patterns! They are the most beautifully made fruits I have ever seen. I teach kids for free how to crochet in my neighborhood, and these little fellas would be a great collection to have handy. If the pineapple can be made into the same size as the others, that would be great too. Could you please tell me the size of these cuties, and also if you have any other fruit that would go with the group (yours, or maybe another persons)? They are so adorable I cannot handle it!

    Please email me at lacy.steel.amigurumi@gmail.com

    Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Grazia,

    Your crochet work is adorable !
    Would it be possible to have patterns for the pear, pineapple and watermelon slice?

    You may wish to take a look at my fabric wrap summer jewellery project (and enroll free) to the step-by-step online class here: http://skl.sh/1Tbd9CQ at Skillshare, it's a great place for creatives !

    Many Thanks,

    Fiona
    fionaszabo@gmx.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My free class link as a skillshare swap is:
      http://skl.sh/1Tbd9CQ

      Delete